Monday, May 12, 2014

Positive thinking

I met an old acquaintance last week after a few years. She had been through a tough time in the last decade. Financial troubles, a failing marriage and two school going kids had forced her to venture out in the working world at the age of 45 years. She had never worked before, always preferring to take care of her children and  her house. Family was her first priority. In this testing time, she worked like a slave, came back from her job and made sure she had hot food on the table for the family,every night. She also discharged her duties towards the extended family members with a smiling face. She participated in every family activity, wholeheartedly. The bitterness, if any, about her personal situation was never on display and she kept a dignified profile.
Last week, I asked her how she had coped with it all and yet maintained her love for life and child like enthusiasm for new experiences. What she said touched me to the core. " I can't change what happened in the past and I don't know what the future holds but I can certainly enjoy my present. I have two lovely kids, a house over my head and I am healthy. Life is good."
To me, she became the living proof of positive thinking......a stress busting technique that most of us have a hard time implementing in our lives.
An easy way to focus on the positives and leave the negatives behind is to wake up every morning and count on your fingers, the blessings in your life....your children, healthy parents, good career.....and do the same every night. This twice a day habit can become a transformational tool for a happy life. Try it out. I plan on doing it, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment